9/14/08

Let the kids have tape!

I have given in to the excitement kids have for tape! While I admit I used to be the one to say, "That's too much - put the tape away," I now find myself encouraging them to find new ways to use it. In the whole scope of things, tape is actually inexpensive, easily available and stored, and offers a never-ending opportunity for creating. Tape offers instant gratification for little hands and minds - no dry time needed and immediate use of the creation. Not only is it good for crafts, but it can be used for indoor hopscotch patterns on the floor to break the winter blues. I came around the corner the other day to find a race-track on the linoleum for the inch worms created with TP tubes. When in doubt, and amid a slew of bored looks, I pull out the paper, the scissors, crayons, and 'fun junk' (those collections of empty thread spools, Popsicle sticks, buttons, and more). I don't give directions, but let them have at the pile of fun and see where it leads. We love masking tape - all colors - and I find it at the local home improvement store in the paint isles. I watch for rebate offers and keep a stock pile in the basement. Let them have tape!

No comments: